Please note that the work on this blog is the copyright of the writers and may not be reproduced without their permission.

Wednesday 30 May 2007

Animal Thing -- by File

-


I’ve heard that on your planet you’ve something we don’t
Where you’ve tolerated cohabitation
Sadly we won’t

While we’ve become known for fare for a cannibal
You’ve made do with a thing called
The animal

We’ve never seen one
But

We’ve heard tell of noises and things in the forest
The spring loaded, metal toothed snare
And spinning bullets

And we’ve seen the bags, jars, boxes and chilled display cabinets
Crates and cages, tanks, mountings and pins

We’re aware of harnesses, bridles, leads, nose-rings and spurs
Electric prods, electric fences, shampoo testing procedures and branding irons

And are in awe of the range of kitchen-alia you’ve contrived
The crusher, the slicer, the mincer, hooks and saws
The tenderizer, the gouger, the sea-salt grinder and skewers
And the deep fat fryer

The mot trouvé of the day is sizzle
And it would be nice to still have something to pet and yet…

Let’s look at the carcass and bone you have sold and now own
Fur coats, breathable leather belts, sofas, shoes and sharp toothed medallions

And we know that in them you saw you
The tentacles, the agility and ability to land on your feet
The tendency to jig on a hot tin roof, cheekily
Lots of sex
But unhygienic and can be taken to water but not made to drink
So free, but so stubborn and loyal
And sometimes, just sometimes, you turn into princes

We realize they provided a semblance of security
For abbateurs, cowboys, and butchers’ families
And for those of the pit organizers, big game (and little) hunters and of taxidermists too

And are mightily impressed with the jobs they do for you
The guards, messengers and porters of packs, bombs and in mines
Testing for gas with their lives while also pulling ploughs and biting drug dealers’ arms

Though it’s a difficult thing for the mind of a cannibal
To understand everything you’ve done with
The animal

We’ve never seen one
But
We can see the human shaped footprint in your lives now they’ve gone.

-

17 comments:

DoctorShoot said...

File
thank you for this.
It makes me want to reach for a bottle of tanqueray and settle down to watch 'the man who fell to earth' again....

the arsenic sheep dip was a beauty in it's day.

I once planned to run a bulldozer through the walls of Sydney University's animal testing lab as I could hear the cries and screams each day as I walked past... I was convinced, much to my everlasting regret, not to proceed however as there may be dangerous diseases etc confined within those walls which I would be releasing....etc....

thought provoking and evocative.

Anonymous said...

Wow!
*Stunned silence*

Anonymous said...

I really like this poem, in fact I think it's a classic.

Anonymous said...

Ok so if Doc hadn't squeezed in there my first post would have made so much more sense!

Great piece file, and Doc that film sounds good will have to source it after exams.

file said...

thanks guys, it feels a little fluffy after the grittiness of the delights so far

file said...

btw/

'The Man Who Fell to Earth' is a storming movie, haven't thought about it for ages, some things work hard at strangeness but that film just oozes discordanance

Anonymous said...

November / December 1985. I cycle along Seven Sisters Road pulling up behind the butchers' vans as they unload their carcasses. I look inside and I smell the death.

Like a lot of working class kids, I'd been brought up to eat meat and told that anything else was dangerously enfeebling. I ate the turkey on 25 December 1985, but I knew that was the last and I've never been tempted since (except a couple of times, hung over and cold on a Sunday morning by... cockles!)

I do buy leather, so I'm no saint, and I'm happy to sit next to someone gnawing on a bone, but I could no sooner do it myself than swallow a cockroach.

As an addendum, my mother cautiously enquired about whether her new granson would be given meat - of course not. She wondered if that would enfeeble him. Now he is ten (and his brother six), she wonders just how big they will be when they stop growing. Looking at the height of the doors here, so do I.

Thanks File.

Soylent Green anyone?

Anonymous said...

I'm still a meat-eater, but this poem made me feel quite bad about it...

file said...

soylent green indeed, why not?!?

Mouth, just to add that it is crucial to keep on top of the nutrition of kids who don't eat meat

as I understand it some of the constituant fats and enzymes we get from meat are extremely important, and difficult to replace, for very young kids

I wrote this after hearing of another extinction and I partly just wanted to show the egocentricism of us human beans

DoctorShoot said...

it is said that:
'vegetarianism requires the sought of thought and energy which good eating deserves'

in the end of course it is about respect.

I have no problem with consumption of any kind, and have lived and worked amongst 'cannibals' who had perfectly sound ethical, religious and cultural reasons for their pursuits....nonetheless they would not dream of eating an ant, pig, or neighbour without paying due respect and homage.

rocky horror show should be compulsory viewing for all teenagers contemplating their various diets of food, music, style, and companionship.

I am from the planet cannibal, but have lost the cultural capacity to pursue that avenue....

Anonymous said...

File - Good point. I think it's just the one and that is covered by some milk and occasional other dairy products. It's the Vegan who has the longer list.

Living in the metropolis, you can get small production meat, but mainly meat comes from a pretty ugly big business (and I believe it's even worse in other EU countries!) "Fast Food Nation" is worth a read.

file said...

mouth,

echo your 7 sisters experience, for a few years I used to sit on the top deck of a bus (to smoke) as it passed a local abbatoir, we were often treated to the sight of folk shovelling their piles of animal bits from one place to another

I can never watch as food production crises follow each other and the piles of objectified cows for the culling are replaced by pigs the next time and then birds, piles and piles of them thrown away and burnt

that's a lot of karma

file said...

****
**********
**********
****
****
****

PSUEDS’ T’S

There are 33 designs now and all at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/fileofacks

Please leave your vote for the final design in the comments under the t-shirt you like. The votes will be counted on June 10 ’07.

Anonymous said...

er, is it safe here? I just went to a tavern where, er, well, let's just say it was a narrow escape...

Anonymous said...

Rabbit, safer here than in Normandy I should think (casserole de lapin?), but as you know all furry creatures should avoid the tavern.

But if you pop up on week-old threads we might not see you're there...

Anonymous said...

Week old threads are probably safer for shy, tasty creatures like myself...

Anonymous said...

Woof woof! Not all that safe, buddy!