Please note that the work on this blog is the copyright of the writers and may not be reproduced without their permission.

Wednesday 1 August 2007

A Postcard from.... Gap Year -- by File

-
Dear Mother,

Having a great time, the dysentery has almost completely dried up but it’s very quiet after Jeff’s amputation, hope the trip back goes ok for him as the canoe looked quite old. The bungee jump was fantastic, only 52 meters so it was quite quick though I had to dangle for a long time as I hadn’t tied the rope very well. Met a really hunky lovely guy, he’s the leader of a new religion here in Timbatchti, oh sorry just realized, got to Africa last Thursday, we’re going to his camp in the mountains somewhere. Think I’m going to be here for a while, I know the political situation isn’t great but most of the fighting in the streets has stopped now and anyway we’re off into the jungle tonight. Got to go, Dongo’s going to take me to a witch doctor again about my rash, but yesterday he just hit my naked body with flowers and spat on me for an hour. Hope you’re all well.

Love

Laura

-

4 comments:

file said...

er, Laura's got small handwriting and a lot to say ;)

Zephirine said...

This made me laugh out loud, File, especially 'oh sorry just realized, got to Africa last Thursday'. You have the voice exactly right, and I'm sure real-life Lauras are writing postcards like this all over the world, terrifying really...

Anonymous said...

Laura - stop - Rentre à la maison immédiatement - stop - Ton père a eu une attaque - stop - S'il te plaît - stop

guitougoal said...

Laura,l'auras tu? l'aura pas.
I bet she is driving a black jeep.