Please note that the work on this blog is the copyright of the writers and may not be reproduced without their permission.

Tuesday 28 October 2008

When Winter Comes -- by Mimitig

.

The first snow
Every year I crave the same rhythm

I long to go back to childhood
And skate
And sing

And I find the song
For Sharon

It is the story of my winter
The song is Canada
My childhood is Port Meadow
And Rosedale

I skated into the mist
I had dreams and the world in my hands

Skating into the unknown
The freedom of skating into love

I wore tights under my
Woolworth jeans
So different from Joni
With her Cowgirl jeans

But as I felt the wind
Against my face
It didn’t matter, ever
That I was in my cheap dream

I remembered Canada
And I felt speed in my blades

Nothing could stop me then
Burning with power through the fog
I never felt so alive

Now I go to the rink
Sometimes
It’s not the same

But when the snow and ice
Lash against the window
I am back in childhood

I want to skate
In the wilderness
And sing

.

8 comments:

offsideintahiti said...

And of course I have to post it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIE-7ROd-Pw

You could have picked a worse model, Mimi, and you could have done worse. Yes, that's a compliment, sorry, it's late and she makes me emotional and confused, always has(and Jaco, too).

I'll give your piece another read after a good night's sleep.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, Mimi. And I bet Joni wore tights under her jeans in the Canadian winters.

Anonymous said...

Thanks both. Zeph, check offie's link and you'll find Joni wearing mama's nylons underneath her cowgirl jeans. Somehow far more romantic than my teenage self wearing school-issue woolly tights underneath my bargain counter Woollies denims.

But I used to go home in winter, swop my satchel for skates and cycle to Port Meadow and skate til darkness fell. Often thinking about a Hester Burton book - the name of which now escapes me - and also Tom's Midnight Garden.

Anonymous said...

Very nice Mimi - and good timing. I tend to fall rather than skate, but my kids appear to have inhertied their mother's skating prowess.

DoctorShoot said...

Mimi
really beautiful and evocative piece which has you gliding again.
Loved it.
Doc

Anonymous said...

oh, now I badly want to go skating in the Canadian wilds. I used to be quite good, but only on urban rinks, I've been out on a frozen pond about twice, ever. This makes me sad.

file said...

your dreams were never 'cheap' mimi, neither your memories, we are all richer for them

Unknown said...

browse around this website luxury replica bags click for info Ysl replica click site high end replica bags