Please note that the work on this blog is the copyright of the writers and may not be reproduced without their permission.

Friday 24 July 2009

Thermidor -- by Melton Mowbray






On the floor of the Convention
St Just roars and rants with anger
once again the Revolution
stands threatened by mortal danger.

Outside virtuous sans-culottes
pull good patriots from their beds
moderate views, monarchist plots,
the basket fills with severed heads.

Citizen Barras and his friends
feel Mme Guillotine’s cold breath,
the indifferent blade descends
the Incorruptible meets death.

The People wish to celebrate
now the Tyrant is deposed,
hélas, they are unfortunate:
it’s August. All the bars are closed.

.

9 comments:

parallax said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIwhsYvkzk8

mishari said...

I think I'm right in saying the sea-green incorruptible had half his jaw shot off before they relieved him of that particular problem...and all other problems, come to think of it. Let this sterling poem sand as a warning to politicians, the swine.

(it's true that lots of Parisian watering holes pull down the shutters in August, but that's what drugs are for)

Meltonian said...

I'm honoured by this unexpected promotion. Thanks!

I was going to say that I haven't visited Paris in 20 years so the punchline might be hard to understand, but the Prince has laid my fears to rest.

Zephirine said...

parallax, that is a very weird clip, but thank you for sharing it with us:)

Melton, our French OtherStuffers will no doubt confirm if it's still the case, Paris was certainly dead in August in the days when this classic was recorded.

mimi said...

I find this very chilling.

henrymoon said...

So do I.

Please contact me offline and send drugs. August looms before me like John Mills' naked torso...

offsideintahiti said...

I'm sorry Melton, you go to all that trouble, write a clever pome, etc... and all I can think of, is that I'm hungry for lobster.

Well, it is nearly lunchtime, here.

mimi said...

I have no appetite for the remaining raspberries.

guitougoal said...

Parisian bars closed in August? you must be referring to Paris Texas.