Please note that the work on this blog is the copyright of the writers and may not be reproduced without their permission.

Sunday 9 May 2010

Sometimes -- by Mimitig



photo from wallpaperblog.wordpress.com



Sometimes at night I feel my heartbeat
Race
Like a butterfly
Wings beating fast inside

Sometimes at night I wake drowning
Mermaid tail thrashing
Going nowhere

Sometimes at night I wake crying
Tears drench my pillow
Why

Sometimes at night I dream of singing
Songs from past and present
Writhe round my mind and wake me
In the morning
Only shadows of the tunes
Remain

Sometimes at night people fill my mind
Dead and alive, they crowd me
Needing – something
What

Sometimes I wake
Heart beating like a butterfly
Wondering
When

Sometimes the morning sun
Rises in a sky painted glorious
Pink and red

Then I know
Why


.

10 comments:

Zephirine said...

Well, I liked it.

mimi said...

Thank you Zeph. I'm sure our readers are tied up following the GU Election Blow by Blow coverage and wondering why a man with the name Adonis is not, in truth, an Adonis.

offsideintahiti said...

Yes, I am glued to the British election, absolutely riveting stuff, almost as exciting as cricket.

But I did take the time to read this.

And this stanza struck a particular chord:

Sometimes at night people fill my mind
Dead and alive, they crowd me
Needing – something
What

They usually melt into oblivion again fairly quickly, but I think I know exactly what you mean.

But I'm not sure I know why, or what.

Thanks, Mimi.

Pinkerbell said...

Oh dear, didn't mean to leave you hanging Mimi, I just hadn't quite decided how to word my comment. Words are escaping me at the moment (pesky blighters)...

Anyway, I think this is an lovely poem, reflecting that middle-of-the-night anguish which dreams can bring when they only give us a glimpse of their meaning, but are so vivid and unrelenting. Yet when we wake, as you say, only the shadows remain.

The poem could be sad, except for the glorious ending, which makes us think what our "why" might be.

A welcome break from politics for me. I've had it in my ear all weekend!

guitou said...

Sleep tight Mimi,close your eyes, wish upon a star
anything you like it doesn't matter where you are

Ali Gator said...

sounds corny like Celine Dion,

Pastagobbler said...

Maybe these would help Mimi!!

http://www.elephantparadelondon.org/

Like the cows but elephants!

mimi said...

Oh thank you for that wonderful link, Pasta. Not much makes me wish to be in London, but those ellies ... What fun it would be do my old work cycle journey and spot any of these.

Meltonian said...

I like the repetitions, which give it structure.

Perhaps it will overtake SM Pugh's. She might be grateful.

Tina Rathore said...

Beautiful! very rhythmic. loved the lines..."Sometimes at night I feel my heartbeat
Race
Like a butterfly
Wings beating fast inside"

Think these lines will stay with me for s'time. Thanks for sharing such b'ful composition. Loved exploring your blog.