Please note that the work on this blog is the copyright of the writers and may not be reproduced without their permission.

Thursday 21 June 2007

The Ant Man, Inventor of Children -- by DoctorShoot

That great Cathedral space which was childhood – Virginia Woolf

-

Bucko and I were like Laurel and Hardy. I bent my lanky scrawny frame around my bike, low for less wind resistance. I tried to keep up with him as he pedalled upright; knotted long white hair bobbing and flashing with its nest of wind-filtered debris. Grinning like the mad dog he was.

My father, god rest his beautiful gentle soul, was cash poor but rich in finer things. He was unable to buy me the bike I so desperately wanted (and a guitar and a saxophone), but he took me aside by the firelight one night; alone with him in the old creaking wooden living room with its thick motheaten colonial carpets, and he brushed the scraps of dinner from the front of my pyjamas.
“I have something for you” he said in a soft, and I felt then, proud voice. It wasn’t christmas or a birthday but I felt the excitement swelling behind the warm spot where he had finished brushing my belly with an affectionate rub like a football trainer massaging the wounded star. He went to the special locked sideboard and my heart sank. What could fit in there?

Bucko swerved in front of me, first into the green Jackass dam riparian approaches and then bursting through the skinny wattles; all charge and yahoo, then right into the muddy water up to his knees. I skidded on the bank and slid to the water edge amongst yabbies and rotten leaves. We were exhausted and laughing.

That’s when we spotted him. Across the dam in the forest shadows; a black figure flickering and gone. We stopped mid scraw and held a glance as if to assure each other. Bucko dragged his bike back out of the mud. He had no brakes as was the fashion of the brave; he pushed a sandshoe against the tyre if slowing down was ever a necessary course of action. Now we were both stopped in our tracks. We left our bikes against trees and scrambled off around the muddy edge and up over Tysons mound and through the barbed wire fence into the forest, after the ghost.

The big wooden drawer squeaked and grunted as it opened and I could smell paraffin oil and dust. Dad carefully lifted a leather folder and held it in the suspense of his memory for ever. I waited. Then he turned and brought it to me.

I had never asked him about the war because mum said not to. He didn’t want to talk. He let us look through all the back volumes of Khaki & Green with their endless jokes about ‘Pull your head in mate” and paintings of heroic soldiers lugging cannons through the tropical mud forests of New Guinea, and shouldering bandaged comrades through swamps, but he never talked about it. Now he handled this big leather folder like an explosive, and brought it to lie on the carpet in front of me.

Three weeks later in mathematics, when, for the first time ever I drew some praise from Mr Hughes for my attempts to make the slide rule and compass produce an isometric description of a transparent tetrahedron, I was interrupted, because of Dad’s folder I guess. Taken to the headmaster and given the cuts. Mr Mac, towering six foot six with his leather barber strap. My tentative hand out, forced out into the air, and the big wind-up and down it came. Crack! And my hand went red. Again and Again. “I’m sorry young Doc but somebody has to teach you a lesson.” The sweat clattering off his face onto the gleaming leather weapon. Crack! Each blow forcing the secrets deeper and deeper inside me, and knowing my guilt, accepting my fate. Only not knowing which particular misdemeanour was being heralded and exorcised.

Bucko’s shirt had torn on the barbed wire fence we had piled through, and he wiped the blood from his side with the back of his hand. Then rubbed it against his nose as the unstoppable river of Bucko snot always demanded. He looked like a wild eyed warrior idiot as he crept ahead of me, scouting for a trail. I laughed every time he peered back over his shoulder.

I had never been this far off the back of Jackass dam. It was forbidden. Even collecting birds’ eggs we didn’t come this far. They said old man Tyson would shoot on sight. We went deeper and deeper and the tree trunks became thicker. Great Turpentines and Angophoras watching us from their towering white branches. Then we spotted a clearing. You could see the gold aura ahead where sunlight flooded into a space in the forest, and it seemed that a big earth hill rose out of the ground in the middle. Curling grey smoke dissipated from its peak. We huddled at the edge of the clearing. Bucko’s wet trousers smelt of the dam and my shirt was wet and muddy still. We were like two sperm hovering in the undergrowth, contemplating the approach, contemplating the egg.

The fire smelt raw and warm as my dad carefully opened his gift. Page after page after page of stamps. The full collection. The full set. The stamps of Papua New Guinea and New Britain from 1938 to 1942. Cassowaries, thatched huts, outriggers. I watched as this gentle and amazing man gently touched one image or another behind clear tissue paper, the images calling my eyes from their wandering thoughts, diving now into the thick black-page mountings that cradled imagery. Some pages also had mounted pen and ink sketches which he and his friends from the regiment had done. I asked stupid questions but he only smiled and kept turning the pages for me. Suddenly my father had turned heroic and for an instant he let me lean up against his being. “It’s for you” he said simply, then he stood leaving me with the folder, went back and locked the sideboard drawer again, and left the room.

Bucko decided to let me go ahead. I stood, and strode brilliantly for a couple of paces, right into the clearing, right through the cracked long dry grass. Right up to the giant earthmound. Then a sound. I froze. A sound. What was it. A cough. I looked back at Bucko uncertain. If I ran for it I was certain to shit myself. Then silence. I turned back toward the mound and another cough. “Hello?” I pleaded softly, ready for my fate, not worse than having to wash poop out of one’s shorts most likely but certainly unknown.

He touched me from the other side. The side I was not looking toward. His great bony hand on my shoulder like the claw of the eagle reaching from the book of Kells to grab the innocent lamb. Involuntary squirts came from every orifice though I was too frightened to actually cry. I dared to look up toward his hooded face, way up there. From amongst the height of the tallest leaves his voice came down at me: “Would you like some raisins?”

He’s going to poison me but what can I do? I am a lamb to the slaughter. I glanced toward the empty space at the edge of the clearing where the feckless Bucko had once been, and then gave myself up; allowed myself to be guided step by step around the great mound to the doorway of hessian sacks and beaten out tin cans. Into the mound; and into the cave of the inventor.

He coughed a lot and smoked incessantly. His face was a molten rubber mask of folds and lines. In the smokey light of his fireplace I could make out glitters in the mask where his eyes would surely be, and his very thick lips were pasted wide across his face and seemed wet.

We talked and talked and I ate his raisins and drank tea with him. Everything smelled and tasted of damp burned eucalyptus. I had to participate as I was his prisoner but I thawed in awe. He seemed as frail as transparent paper. He told me about the planets and how they were all in balance because they had pockets of protection and that they bumped softly against each other in a relative way. He told me that the Egyptians had built their pyramids by lifting them with little pyramids stuffed with prisms. “It breaks down the pressure of light you see” he said, as long as it doesn’t escape it can lift anything. “Mirrors and prisms and angles” he said. And he told me that the great wall of China was glued together with rice flour and his ant mound in which he lived was made of rice-flour and eggs and water and ant hills crushed up and not even the strongest bulldozer could break it.

He told me that the planet earth had been originally populated by strange creatures half snake half bull and all sorts of other combinations and that the planet had been seeded by a tree which contained all of the genetic material of the world. “They are still up there,” he said, “and that’s why they need worship, to stay alive”.

I walked away from the anthill, out of the clearing into the forest. It took me a long time to find the Jackass dam again and by the time I reached it Bucko was lying next to the bikes with his clothes drying on a branch and two soggy cigarettes drying on a rock. “You ok?” eyebrows up a little but careless too as if it had been expected.
“He’s crazy but he didn’t try and hurt me, and he’s got this hut full of pictures that he cut out of library books” I said.

From the great height the last blow reigned down. Six on each hand had been my serve. I gritted as hard as I could and would not cry though the last couple had cut against the bones of my fingers. I think old Mac admired me for that. He put the strap back into his wooden bureau drawer pushed me down into his chair with his big meaty paws. “Wait here for five minutes and then you can go back to class” he said, and “I hope you have learned a lesson”. His enormous frame filled the opening as he left and when he closed the door behind him it felt like the credits rolling after Doc Holliday had cleaned them all up at the OK Corral.

I had been hiding my bike down in the reeds next to the trotting track and each day we went back after school and tried to find the clearing again.
On the weekend we cut Sunday school and spent our collection money at Rechters café where the paraphernalia of rock and roll and cigars and billiard queues and juke box selectors in booths was akin to a rococo cathedral. Bucko shared some extra cash he had collected from milk bottles left out by householders and we beat the older kids to the best music for that glorious day. We planned to visit Mr Peterson again and take him some food.

Winter arrived suddenly and Bucko was away from school, sick. Alone I went back and, after several searches, found the clearing again. Old Mr Peterson’s coat was on his hessian sack bed, just a bedraggled mess, with a sack of bones inside. I was shocked and ran and got lost for hours.
A week later I went back and found it again but empty, though the billy still hovered above the cold fireplace, and the boxes of raisins nestled amongst the tobacco tins on his shelves. The earth floor was so cold it was moist. I hauled all his things out into the clearing and set fire to them, all his papers and bedding and everything I could move. I don’t know why.

The fire got away a bit, into the forest, and I fled.

I remembered Bucko as I ran. As we had ridden back along the track from Jackass dam, he had been kicking my bike a few times to try and knock me off. We stopped and I adjusted my brakes. “Where’d you get it?” he asked.
“I traded it for some stamps,” I said.

Now Bucko was gone and I never saw him again, and I supposed all the blame must have been mine.

-

47 comments:

Zephirine said...

Well, I wanted to let someone else comment first but I've run out of patience. F'acking great, Doc, it's a terrific piece, though my heart aches in retrospect for your poor Dad. The things we do to our parents, and ignorance is only half an excuse.

A bike meant independence, though, didn't it? Freedom. So maybe not such a small thing to trade for a treasure, after all.

Anonymous said...

Peter Carey and Thomas Kenneally eat your hearts out. We have Australia's foremost writer here. This is stunning stuff. I want to buy the book and am seeking now to get this piece printed by a mate so I can read again and again in ease, at the table, or as I turn in to sleep at night.

file said...

blimey, I'd better read then, normally just stick comments

Anonymous said...

Anyone missing from the famous five? No, all there it seems.

Zephirine said...

Read this and weep, Offside. This Shoot bastard can really write, I think we'll have to kill him.

Mind you, then we'd only be four....

file said...

so we've shoved Snowy out of the boat then and offered Timmy some ginger beer and ices then?

Anonymous said...

Well, I knew he could write from day one and his first foray into the Corner. If I may remind you:
http://pseudscorner.blogspot.com/2007/02/one-more-river-doctorshoot.html

I've read this one, and I'll have to come back to it later. Tonight is La fête de la musique, as well as the solstice, which means there'll be bands in the streets. I've me best loincloth on...

Catch yous later!

Anonymous said...

Snowy may be out of the boat, but Milou is with us in the Morgan. A tight fit, but none the less enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

Doc - this is indeed a tour de force. Zeph kindly sent me the file so I could print and read at my leisure. There are tears here and reminiscences. My mum also said not to ask either my dad or uncle about the war. I didn't, but eventually tales were told. The stamp collection just reduces me to tears. I wait for more of your writings, in anticipation. But maybe next time you can write something that doesn't make me cry.

DoctorShoot said...

Zeph
thank you for posting.
you are indeed the inspiration, the immutable glass darkly, Knight-Curator, and planetarium projector...

Zeph, File, Offie, Mimi,
if anything of my writings brings you the slightest tinge of pleasure / pain / or even passing amusement, then I am rewarded...

(also applies to any other Pseudies, visitors, or accidental landers who may happen by).

I feel like the spy who came in from the cold... can we get a drink in here? and have a wee cigar??..

where is that photo of offie in the reggae loincloth now??... oh how I would love to be there...

Zephirine said...

Pop into the library, Doc - it's the Other Stuff equivalent of the taproom.... coffee, tea, brandy and liqueurs freely available, you may smoke whatever you please and of course there are shelves and shelves of virtual books to read...

DoctorShoot said...

oh dear Zeph...
one of the definitions of a Second Life addict is when your SL events are more important to you than...
oh dear...
I very much fear that when you build the library I may spend altogether too much time in there...

Zephirine said...

Ah, but unlike Second Life, where you have to clunk around being a piece of not very good computer animation, the Other Stuff Library is in a parallel universe, so you can be there, refreshing body and mind, at the same time as getting on with your normal existence. Neat, huh?

DoctorShoot said...

Yes indeed Zeph
the question is:

is there a future place where our library taproom may become manifest in first life?..

I am planning a trip to UK most likely, Latin America possibly, Europe probably, and would dearly love to step through the virtual gateway at least for a few moments...

Anonymous said...

Us Others are scattered across the globe... Tahiti, Thailand/the Yukon, Scotland. But I am in London and so are quite a few of the Pseuds. Perhaps Lord Ebren would let us use the third back parlour in his mansion for a humble get-together.

file said...

yes shoot, this is accomplished work, can only imagine how it fits into the whole

personally particularly like the way you make a story out of it all, whilst painting a broad and vivid array of scenes

thought the rococo reference was a little unnecessary, but the 'wild eyed warrior idiot' more than makes up for it

the scene with your Dad is full of muted power and it's conclusion is all too real, we're sort of back to talking about Laurie Lee again but 'The Ant Man' is meatier and crawlier and perhaps slightly sharper

thanks for sharing your memories with the collective!

Anonymous said...

There is something curiously addictive about this story. I keep coming back to it on screen - to see what the collective is thinking - but also re-reading my print-out. The descriptions of the drawer opening, the lifting of the folder just resonate in an extraordinary way. Worlds apart, literally, Doc, you and I with 12,000 or so miles, but what you write of echoes and rings so many bells. I think this writing group should do something with the words we donate. These certainly deserve greater publication. I thank you.

DoctorShoot said...

file,
thank you for ther feedback...
you truly are an incisive and clear sighted analyst...
and because you have displayed such sustained perspecacity I feel I owe it to you to try and unravel some notes regarding this piece to attempt a response:

Originally I used the Rechter's bit as a device to break the thread and prepare the reader for the loss of Bucko without compromising the overall balance. It was longer and occurred earlier.

I also used it as a device to insert a worship reference (albeit the dissmissive young boy's version via cutting sunday school and replacing it with cafe culture) in order to reinforce the tenuousness & fragility of the chances of success for the old man's attempt to pass on his religious vision; his one shot for philosophical immoprtality in the weeks approaching his death, albeit to a child (though the child's later attempted drawing of a transparent pyramid in maths class was of course an indication that some part of the spark had jumped the gap).

The rococco cathedral reference is a direct attempt to redeem the boys by attributing to them some kind of puny unorthodox gods of the street in order to give them a grace with which to engage with the old hermit's vision of the universe.

I originally tried to mark these points through dialogue but changed and chopped, and, at one stage, the day in Rechter's was half the story until I examined it closer and cut it back again.

Hope that gives you a glimpse of the picture of my scramble to meaning. In the end the Rechter's scrap which remained felt essential and critical even though it sticks out like a lump of rock in a bowl of porridge.

Mimi
thank you for your thoughtful words too...
In my life of devouring writing of all kinds I have covered the globe from my tiny spot on it, and what is universal in thought and experience travels time and distance untroubled, and in the flicker of a thought it seems.


I must confess to being unfaithful to our small co-operative, and have posted the pieces on my other blogs around the place, but only after they appear first on '....other stuff'

I am not desperate for fame or riches, inspite of their obvious appeal as regards not having to churn out days in paid work to fund living and writing, and if I was a doctor of anything other than foolology I might earn the sort of money upon which I could save and retire and write full time... if our readership here in our team is all my work ever achieves then at least it shal;l have lived...

cheers
doc

file said...

shoot,

very interesting notes, thanks for that too (I always read footnotes and biogs)

now I understand why the rococo (btw, what a name for the cafe!) is there, it's just an infinitessimly (SP?) small point but it is as if (and I know that it isn't true - only as if) the writer wanted to gain kudos by associating with that pregnant word - and I just wanted to say that it's not necessary, The Ant Man doesn't the High-Renaissance!

doc, million thanks for the posting from everyone here I'm sure, but why are you tinkering with minnows (ok, minnow, everyone else here is a published literary bohemoth, I am only a feeder fish that tickles your irridescant skins), why aren't you fending off agents with a feather duster?

you might have to send it to someone first tho?

file said...

now I'll have to say it again cos I facked it up first time: 'the Ant Man doesn't NEED the HR'

file said...

shoot,

like mimi, I find myself drawn back to this tale and your insights, there is a slightly haunting undercurrent to it

but now I've got two more points!
why were you given the strap? and did Bucko die then? I didn't get that from the first reading

just to be clear it was only the word rococo I was referring to, the cathedral alone ignites personal associations

DoctorShoot said...

file
not sure really, most likely for stealing milk bottle money (also mentioned in the rococco cathedral snippet)
cheers
and thanks fot the perseverance.
cheers
doc

DoctorShoot said...

...and Bucko was likely moved to another area to try and reform him, whilst I was only given the cuts and left to ponder...

I most likely thought I was being punished for a number of, or combination of misdemeanours, whereas it was probably only for cutting church, and hanging out with Bucko and tainted by his mini robberies...

so there you have it file, the private unravelling...

the thing I swore I wouldn't do... but for you,,... there you have it... and I feel I owe you because you can see into the structure so well... and not only of this piece...

now I need a cigar and a whiskey...

DoctorShoot said...

...and so the rococco cathedral snippet also functions as the key to unlock the surface story-line meaning...

file said...

doc, gotcha thanks, I'll try and keep my inquisitive hounds down now, aware of the privalage of being able to heckle the author here and I'll not take the biscuits, fascinating unravelling too tho, cheers again!

The whisky and cigars are on me DS, highland malt and a panatella or jim beam and a giant?

DoctorShoot said...

m&p
and next edition of rabids pls
cheers

DoctorShoot said...

any news of Offie since the dance party?..

file said...

thats a point, no, no news, maybe they drank him along with everything else

he's probably ended up naked on a deserted rocky island just off sardinia

the lines twixt dreaming and waking are awful thin this time of year

doc, where are you going on your world tour then?

Anonymous said...

Bonjour,

I'm still alive and I woke up in my bed, with a bit of a headache and next to a really sexy French woman.

La fête de la musique was good, but really overcrowded. They had closed the old town of Antibes to traffic, which was just as well cause you still couldn't walk some streets, such was the density of the crowd. So it got a bit much and we retired to a quiet corner for coffee and conversation. Are our wild days over?

Still owe you a proper comment, Doc, for that brilliant piece of writing, but right now I have to get ready to go out, again.

Anonymous said...

What a relief to know Offy is still with us - I fear he's been spending too much time having fun. And should be punished. If Mamselle Zeph can provide the environment ....

DoctorShoot said...

file
trip depends a little on mother-in-law's movements (not scatalogical divination, only she decides first then I come up with response plan - in a nice way)...

Mimi
agree...
we are too few to lose key member to Caribbean rum bars and salsa ladies... hope the beautiful frenchwoman's charm keeps offie on the leash and safe for future postings, comments, and general taproom work...:

"stylish french cultured world citizen kidnapped by caribbean beauties for sex slave work..." mais non non non...

file said...

shoot,

I bet the missus(es) would see the sense in stopping off for a bit of gold-panning no?

hmmm, Zephirine's Dungeon of Dangerous Delights is starting to take shape (like she knew it would)

her boots have 276 hooks and 276 eyes (PER BOOT!) and every single one has to be laced lovingly with shaking fingers ...

guitougoal said...

mimi,
I posted on your thread 'la petite Mort" the Rimbaud translation -"On est pas serieux quand on a 17 ans"-
as suggested by offside.

Doctorshoot,
Rimbaud was a child expressing himself in the language of a man, combining the virile tenderness and the virile vigor of a man. I like this one:
Yes, I was in the wrong
Oh!you won't forget me, will you?
No, you can't forget me.
I still have you here.
When the Zephyr raises its wing
In its cotton retreat,
When it hastens to where the flower calls it,
Its sweet breath smells so good!my favorite , "the orphans gift "is too long to post here- Inventor of childrn, reminds me of Rimbaud's return to consciousness as he defined chilhood as a treasure, something pure and exempt from doubt and conciousness.

guitougoal said...

ooops!" exempt from doubt and falsehood"-

Zephirine said...

Guitou, great to see you here and thank you for the Rimbaud, there's nobody quite like him. I'm always fascinated by the way he lived his young life devoted to poetry and then... stopped. Not many writers just give up like that (though quite a few run out of ideas).

Zephirine said...

I also completely forgot, because life got in the way and took up parts of my brain, to say that it's very good to have a prose piece for this Other Stuff site. It was never intended to be just a poetry fest.

(sigh) too late now, dead thread...

DoctorShoot said...

Guitou,
thank you for reading and commenting, and for the Rimbaud link.

Sadly my French was never up to much though I have read a bit in translation.

Fournier's Le Grande Meulnes is a favourite of course, and the philosophical work of Satre, (though it took me a lot of work and help to get through being and nothingness...)
and so much of the french psyche transmitted through the impressionist/cubist art and films...

and Baudelaire of course... another young death...

my life has been a strange one and it is taking another and unexpected turn... no shots at a railway station, terminal syphillis, or self inflicted Hemmingwayesque markers, but I am starting to reach back into the treasurehouse of youth to see what is pearls and glass and what are razor blades and soot...

the essence of laughter is surprising oneself of course, and shocks are the order of the day...

glad you were here and hope you will contribute to the '....other stuff' salon...

cheers
Doc

Anonymous said...

oh good, live thread after all.

DoctorShoot said...

Zeph
what do you think of the idea of opening the chat salon / floating taproom for continuing discussion threads? One that stays alive on a longer term basis?

Anonymous said...

Doc,

turning Mademoiselle Zéphirine's salon littéraire into a den of depravity? With alcohol, drugs, scantily clad waitresses, male strippers? Scandalous. I am totally against it. If you do that, and you can take my word for it, there will be all sorts of dodgy characters coming in, maybe even foreigners.

You've been warned.

DoctorShoot said...

...male waitresses, scantily clad foreigners, paint strippers, did I hear you right?... sounds fantastic...

Anonymous said...

Doc, I thought about having a regular 'library' thread for chat on this site, but wasn't sure if it's really needed.

I wouldn't want to take anyone away from the bohemian madness that is the Pseudscorner taproom, that should stay where it is, this would be a quieter, more snoozy place altogether.

But the different time-zones make true conversation a problem, I guess it would become more of a message board? Hm, not sure.

DoctorShoot said...

i guess there is a moment where we say "thread gorne but maud lives orne" and adjourne to another place...
but if the taproom was still afloat back in the corner perhaps...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think Pseudscorner is the better venue simply because more people drop in. But with Offy and Greengrass away from their usual haunts, the Tavern remains closed for much-needed repairs. And File is busy working out how to move 3,597 rabbits from Thailand to some cold place, so it's a little quiet right now.

There seems to be some kind of cafe open on my Chanelle thread though....

DoctorShoot said...

zeph
magnificent piece the chanelle and worthy of replacing margin for taproom of the week...
going there now

DoctorShoot said...

Zeph I forgot to say in the first post you nailed it absolutely. Thx for that.
Doc

Anonymous said...

just dropping by to say hello
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCi2eX0hvHE]free 1600 microsoft points[/url]