Please note that the work on this blog is the copyright of the writers and may not be reproduced without their permission.

Sunday 17 June 2007

Soapy Moment from a Washing Basket -- by DoctorShoot

Notes on the gentle art of hanging for Ryan, Barlow, Chambers, the Husseins, and others….

-


- I am watching an unknown blond,
secretly,
over the top of my diary -
I am watching the blond strangling the life out of
some distinctly working class jeans,
here in this ponderous dry-lino soap-valley public washhouse

-still using laundromats after 20 years –

I noted:
haven’t come very far,
although I owned a washing machine or two along the way,

and now in my distant modern laundry I watch the branches of the great
moreton bay fig
swing heavily
dangerously near me… I am looking over the photographs
I cannot bear to see,
and my paper remnants with their embroidered holes made by
cockroaches and slaters through time’s hunger for dead wood
and taking me back – my old notes -

- The blond is creating sexual tension for me, secretly -
lacy underwear spilling through fingers and out of the basket;
those cascades
those little deaths
those suggested unions of skin and fabric and skin and sweat and
shuddering unions stretching limbs and necks and craning and entwining and creating
the smell of secrecy for me as they are unfolded…

-what hairy blond arms –

I had noted next in my hungry textbook of days.
(and a sketched tattoo “Luke 15.7” with an eagle)
Hairy blond arms handling sheets into the machine they
remind me of
Cliffy Stewart who played on the wing under Barassi;
Cliffy the wingman moving across the gravel playground
like a footballer
and a poet;
Cliff the dancer who ran up against
the inevitable cliff-face of brutality-on-the-field;
about face Cliff.

My stuff has gone onto SPIN without warning
and the three machines start to shudder and whine
as though being lowered into a grave still alive.
I find that my next note reads:

-Bill White the reluctant conscript –

So this must be 1966.
The shadows of the giant fig rattle in the wind and the scraps of paper try
to move away…
but I read:
- 1966 and Harry Holt the disappearing PM has already
beaten off Artie Calwell (the last of the old unguarded guard),
and Holster-Holt has accepted the yankee manufactured
shotgun marriage to the big salary in Canberra; at the palace,
but I am living in a dingy single room in Brunswick, Melbourne;
one dingy window over a dismal sink
where a second-hand electric frypan perches in its grease,
threatening me with electrocution; -
sentenced to death by attempting to conjure up another
magnificent spread of curried mashed potato on
fried bread.

that was all I could cook;
I had no interest.

sitting on a soggy bed (ex-army folding job),
with a prickly greywool blanket
reading ‘the Monsters of the Moors’ in the half-light.
I had a fascination.
half of the light is obscured by the huge shadow of Pentridge gaol down the road.

-Ronald Ryan was here in Brunswick as a little kid.
now he’s back again –

-Working at the Melbourne Uni bookshop I sell books
to students for their education through the day
and try to flog them for myself in the evenings -
for the hunger and the fascination.
- I am a salesman and a thief -

-Valley of the Dolls
Catch 22
Crime and Punishment –

there I was trying to learn the Penguin lists off by heart
under Michael Cannon
and trying to figure out what’s happened to Ronald Ryan
under the death sentence
at night.

- The blond has left;
the basket of panties sits unguarded against
errant semen
on the floor -
I am amused by the dangerous link between
soiled underwear and electric machinery;
I think I must prefer something more physically direct
like
strong blond arms or a rope
to twist the fluid out of something.

I used to spend a lot of my time back there in Brunswick,
when the light had gored itself away to almost nothing,
poring through photographic essays of women in
French underwear, with a candle flickering for the
crucial human weakspots
and flickering myself into the sheets.
It was all secret jotting at work;
in the tea breaks
and overhearing the exciting political secrets to myself
afterwards;

-bookshop people seem to know their politics –

that was another note, although, looking back, and around,
it may be that
it’s not all on the same side of the fence.

I was hopelessly in love with Juliet however,
and
I believed her feigned suicide;
that she was secretly in love with another compometry clerk
in the National Bank, and
this led me to decide that there was no point in joining
one political party or another
since trust had to be a basis for political fellowship
and that had been executed;
at least I believed that then.
In spite of that I joined in some of the great vigil which is to come,
and I’ll tell you about that in a moment.

- I am a protester -

First let me tell you about Juliet;
she used to wear French underwear;
the stuff that has lace around the thighs
and is slightly loose to allow the loving passage of garters,
and the fabric of which
absorbs yet smears depending upon the fluid it concedes contact with,
receives, pulses with and rejects, ultimately;

I used to live on curried mashed potato and
my love of Juliet’s sex;
of course that wasn’t all but it’s all I remember.
Morning noon and night it was
curried mashed potato.
I used to tear at her stocking tops
and bite her thighs in desperation
and reckless risks of a pregnancy that never happened;
(thankful, cruel, dimwitted, hungry – I must make a note of these words)

- I am a risk taker -

I make a note of these words:
-Ronald Ryan was a Catholic altar boy –

There is no conincidence, not there;
Such as being in Brunswick as a child and ending up back there, except perhaps
That father Brosnan was Catholic,
And
Ryan made his break from ‘the go’, same spot
where Kevin Joiner had been gunned down years before;
I wonder if Joiner was armed
And if his killer had a necksnapping end.

the state ripped Ryan from Brunswick and now
the state has brought him back.

the police called Ryan ‘the homing pigeon’
because he loves his family,
that’s how they caught him;
steel-bar irony perhaps more than
the co-incidence of blood.

Why has the pile of dirty underwear
been left on the floor in front of me?
I used to wash all of my clothes in the shower
behind a gritty fungus stained curtain of privacy
back then.

I think the prospect of all those Sharpies and Rockers
Knifing each other out at Elwood beach
made me want to keep my clothes washed;
what if I got mistaken for one and was picked up
with a bag of deals for the Uni bookshop on me;
I might end up somewhere awful;
go directly to ‘the go’ do not collect $200
do not get caught. Catch 22 I was learning
was the American psyche’s dirty washing, and Ronald Ryan,
for me
was top hat landing on Mayfair, and General Dreedle owned the hotels.

-Ronald Reagan has just been named Governer of California –
another note, this one marked ‘humorous’ for some future joke.

I have a couple more marked coincidence
that I would like to read to you but
bear in mind that I have never been clear on the distinction
between wicked coincidence and
an irony (assuming there is a difference).
Anyhow
while I wait for the blond to come back and
start sorting the basket of underwear
I’ll list you a couple and call them ‘coincidence’:

1) Ron Barassi went from Melbourne to Carlton and took them from bottom to premiership (near bottom anyway).
Then he went to North Melbourne and did the same for them.
At last he went home to his precious Melbourne club and failed.

2) William White’s father attended his son’s conscientious objection
army trial (after William had been force-goose-marched to
the cliff-face by the army) wearing his returned serviceman decorations.

3) Ronald Ryan was sentenced to hang on 31 January 1967.
31 January is the date of celebration for St John of Bosco
who founded the Silesian Order which taught Ryan his schooling.

4) Harold Holt imported Air Vice Marshall Ky
(the American-made puppet dictator of South Vietnam)
for a propaganda tour.
While Ky was here the two were photographed in a navy craft
cruising the beach at Portsea, the very spot
from which Harry scuba-dived his disappearance from history.

The big blond and the woman who takes the role
in my imagination
of his lover,
and most probably the occupant of that underwear
from time to time,
come into the laundromat.

They commence an argument over the basket, ignoring me and
I am especially embarrassed because
my spinning cycle has ended and I have to get between them
to take my stuff to the dryer. I think about
the great vigil and how we celebrated
at the bookshop
the morning the reprieve came through at the eleventh hour,
nine hours before post time, rope time, neck tie for Ronald.
They step apart and let me through.

I was depressed by the news that Juliet meant,
when she said she never wanted to see me again,
that in fact
she couldn’t stand the gangly fleshless awkward and finally
embarrassing
sight of me.
my only compensations that morning had been
that I didn’t have a mirror in the flat
and that Peter Hudson was going to play for Hawthorn.

when I arrived at work there was champagne
laid out over the anti-hanging edition of Farrago. There
was so much excitement around, and so little work,
that I was able to pilfer ‘The Idiot’ and ‘The Trial’
without anyone, I thought, noticing.
there were sick jokes that Dorothy would marry Ronald again
since the man with whom she had subsequently united
had died of a heart attack.

But
then
hell broke out once more:
Hobart was being burned to the ground,
Holt was off fiddling in New Zeakland with Holyoake,
the South Africans had banned D’Olivera on the basis
of his skin colour and were giving our cricketers a thrashing to boot,
our young men were getting blasted to pieces in Phuc Tuoy,
the pieces of Grissom, White, and Chaffey were
disintegrating in space alongside the Apollo debris,
and the affidavits of Ryan’s new-evidence-witnesses were
discarded.
what’s more I was freaked out by
eviction from my cupboard
and the finality of
Juliet’s rejection of me:
she took
a lesbian lover and I knew conclusively
as I slunk home from my dissolving bookshop job
with another stolen title hidden in my coat
that I had caused myself to be stripped
of any power
in any direction.

-I have had my head in the dryer –

that is another note
explaining to my future self just why
that woman with her basket of wet underwear
is giving me such a strange look.
I put some more money in the dryer
to finish the sheets and pyjamas.
She puts her stuff into the dryer next to me
and
I can smell her skin in the dry powdery dust and
through the hungry dampness of wet fabric
and
we watch it begin to tumble and mix
in freedom.

I sat outside the Carlton cemetery reading the paper
on the hot morning of 3 February 1967
when Ryan got his neck snapped by the rope;
it was like a hot summer day back in Bendigo
when he was on one side of the fence
inside
studying for his matriculation
which he got
and I was on the other side
studying for my matriculation
which I got,
though we were years apart in getting them.
He loved his sisters
I loved mine.

I know who arrested Ronald Ryan:
Inspector Ray Kelly;
like one Irishman arrests another for the murder of
George Henry Hodgson (an Englishman?)

I wrote a letter to Juliet about
the chance that Ryan would hang in spite of three sworn statements
and one unsworn statement,
which may have merited some attention.

- I am a person who likes letters -

The letter I wrote was about the rush to judgement
but I did not send it so great was my own guilt.

instead I sent a letter to Michael Cannon concerning
Sydney and the rum trade in heroin;
still singing the same song…
and confessed to stealing books from his shop and
congratulated him on his excellent historical works…

if only
if only I could understand if it means anything
that hanging warrants are signed, it seems, on Thursdays
in Malaysia
which is the same day on which Picasso used to sign
his works.
I’m sure it means nothing.

My fetish for lacy underwear survived but I gave up
stealing books.
I gave up Brunswick and Carlton but I still love Melbourne
because I go there every now and then if I have a chance
like the pigeon that I am,
always hoping for a glimpse of Juliet’s thigh in a dream,
or the sound of the gallows finally burning down,
or maybe another Jonny Famechon
or a Peter Hudson…

I don’t know if Michael Cannon ever got my letter,
Or if the blond and his lover are going to split up
over the washing, because
my basket is full of warm dry clothes and cotton sheets
like a Bendigo summer day in your face and
the smell of the free wattle and the dry clay earth
as it rushes promises at you.

I leave the laundromat and scurry to the car
with my dogs

and search my memory for Ronald Ryan’s words
which he penned to his mother
after learning of his destiny as determined by
the State Executive Council:
- I was able to accept it with equanimity
my concern was for its effects on you –

- thus spake Zarathustra, secretly
and Ronald Ryan privately -

-I am cooking dinner tonight –

another note to myself from some years later and
the Irish in me ensures there will be potatoes
somewhere in the menu.

- by the time I have eaten –
the later note continues
- Barlow and Chambers will have been hung in a foreign land
down the spout for drugs -

The car won’t start in the rain and so that gives me time
to contemplate
the Penguin Book of Australian Short Stories
for laundromat reading in case I’m stuck
(with nobody interesting to watch)

The first story still niggles me’
with its essay on the Australian colonial hanging psyche.
I wonder whose graves they would spit on…. Barlow and Chambers,
or Ryan…
perhaps Barlow and Chambers knew too much
or else just a couple of convicts getting it
in the neck.

- through the rain on the car windows I secretly watch
the blond and the lover
load their washing into their small asian car –

my final notes from that day describe
their final act…
- her white legs with little hairs that
seemed to stand erect against the static charge of the laundromat,
her long fingers twirling the end of a plait into the
curl of her melting collarbone,
his thick tattooed arms that touch her briefly…. -
and they were suddenly gone with their scents and
their rustling hands of arousal and their innocently offered exchange
for my diary…..

and they’re gone

- like Cliffy Stewart; just a constructed memory
without right or wrong,
or truth,
but most certainly a reality to someone else,
with right and wrong imposed –

and so
I crumple the notes back into the
elegant scented envelope from my old amnesty cellmate,
with the photographs of Hussein and his brother;
head and body separated like washing spilled on a
dirty floor…
I hear the laughter of my children behind me
reflecting life out of the misty rain
like wet leaves on the great fig tree
and
they do not need to see this letter and its crumbling
foolish hopes
so
I light my fire and determine not to reply this time.

-




65 comments:

Zephirine said...

Yes, this is a long poem! And I hope everyone who gets to the end of it likes it as much as I did.

file said...

much more than sandpaper for Apollo's plates of meat, 1st thoughts are like Charles Bukowski talking to Robert Hughes about Leonard Cohen

but it's also much more than somebody/anybody else, it's quintessential doctorshoot isn't it? Thanks a trillion for posting it shoot, you're a brave man and an inspiration

warrents reflection, I'll be back

Anonymous said...

Gosh - Doc. Nothing like ever happened to me at the launderette.
But what an album of experience. I liked very much the idea of stealing Catch 22 - it just works.
Also I guess this would be a poetic history of Australian life for the past 30 or so years. You spoil us, Doc.

Anonymous said...

And if I was minded to anything from reading this it is:

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by
madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn
looking for an angry fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly
connection to the starry dynamo in the machin-
ery of night"
Thank you Ginsberg

DoctorShoot said...

Zeph thanks for posting and the vision and so much more that you are like some kind of hologram amongst the oak trees in a distant garden... I would have understood if you didn't post it but serves you right if there is more on the way now!!.

File
It is a quintissential... but as we grow older there are many facets of course... as each old faucet clogs and fails a new facet is cut...
you are the perspacacious seer as ever... after I read the french canadian american Kerouac's "Subterraneans" I stopped writing for a decade as I realised somebody had already climbed my mountain and far better than I ever could... but as a doctor of foolology I can now struggle up other peaks, less well equipped for climbing than then, but more fitted with beleif and equanimity regarding outcomes...
thank you for the Bukowski guernsey by the way, though these days and nights still escape like wild horses over the hill (or something similar?)

Mimi
My poem may equate to reading the shipping news in terms of circular droning and carriage of voice... however your gulls are still behind me and spurring us all along thank you...
I eagerly awaited 'we bombed in new haven' but was saving up for my leather bound full oxford dictionary set when it came out and, put off by the critics, never got to digest it.
glad to see your work coming out into the light on other blog. Hope the tour doesn't take up all your creative juices over the next few weeks.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to go back to Ferlinghetti soon. These SF poetry minds give us pause for thought after so long a time doing classical stuff.
Doc: I await your next work with keen anticipation.

Anonymous said...

I'm very happy to be amongst the oak trees in a distant garden, Doc, in hologram form or otherwise.

I do think this is a seriously good poem, courageous and thoughtful and thought-provoking.

And perhaps (to paraphrase B Dylan) it's 'your life in a stolen Penguin'...:)

DoctorShoot said...

Ronald Ryan funtrivia:

http://www.funtrivia.com/flashquiz/index.cfm?qid=254127

DoctorShoot said...

Ronald Ryan wikpedia reference as good as any:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Ryan

Anonymous said...

I made a mistake.
I sat down to it without a glass of something. And I haven't been able to get up and get one. Had to read through. I'm very thirsty now. Yet my other thirst was quenched. Santé, Doc.

Anonymous said...

Ryan, Wikipedia page: that's quite a story, Doc, and it adds another big dimension to the poem for those of us who didn't know about him.

Anonymous said...

The more I read this, the more I get from it. It has made me write something which is in Zeph's hands.
Doc - a tour de force.

DoctorShoot said...

Zeph, OffieOnTour, Mimi, File
I thank you one and all for making the effort, taking the time, to read Soapy Moment.
I performed it live a few times in the course of it's development.

Refreshing now to find an erudite crew capable of working from the page. Refreshing? much more perhaps...

Anonymous said...

Doc,

no effort at all. As I was telling file elsewhere, I don't usually comment on poetry. They tried to teach me at uni and I didn't really take to it. I felt they wanted to turn me into a critic of some kind. I did all my research for a Master's paper on Dylan Thomas and then realised I didn't want to deconstruct the magic (and it wasn't even on his poems, just the short stories in "A prospect of the sea"). So I never finished it and escaped to Canada instead, wrote a travel diary eventually. But that's another story and it was a long time ago.

Poetry is like music to me. Your piece sounds like a blues.I like the blues. It's a protest song as well. And it's got enough distortion and larsen to give it a rock'n'roll edge. I've just played it again, and it's all good.

Anonymous said...

Doc: it's a spiritual thing.
This Salon Des Pseuds that Zeph has laid on for us. Yeah, yeah yeah.

Anonymous said...

Just remembered, they also taught me to support my claims with quotes from the text:

"where a second-hand electric frypan perches in its grease,
threatening me with electrocution; -
sentenced to death by attempting to conjure up another
magnificent spread of curried mashed potato on
fried bread."

If that isn't Rock'n'Roll and Blues rock'n'rolled into one, I don't know what is.

Looking forward to discussing French underwear with you further.

o

DoctorShoot said...

wikpedia for barlow and chambers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlow_and_Chambers_execution

Anonymous said...

I look forward to Doc and Offy discussing underwear! It should be a joy to read! Nice.

DoctorShoot said...

Mimi, Offie
all I can offer is the standard growl against the reign of the G String:

"that which is contained and nurtured within loose silk,
may draw another to it's secret fold,
whilst a cursory strap between the thighs,
thrusts gawky flesh into the light
and leaves
little else to behold..."

file said...

shoot, all,

sitting here writing a response to this brilliance and the earth has rippled under the house

never felt an earthquake before, weird

er, perhaps better point out in such poetic climes that this is not metaphorical (sorry doc) but physical, real earthquake just shook the house for about 5 seconds and it felt like a ripple going from somewhere to somewhere, very strange something primordial comes to the surface

the birds are clearly a bundle of nerves...weird

back in a minute

file said...

Shoot,

Really wonderful, heavy in the fingers but melts on the tongue, exquisite chemistry, alchemistshoot.

Seeming formlessness and careful rhythm makes it so natural to read in a laconic drawl with spiked traps for the unwary. It gives a rainy Melbourne street to the jazz expression and richer vocabulary far from the square boxes of rhyme

The glue of your launderette experience that holds together so many strands, means a lot to me. I once ‘lived’ in Munich train station for about 2 weeks with all the diverse eco-system there. My skin became thick from humid sleeping bag and standing only washing. Changing my shirt in between the rows of lockers next to a Spanish girl, chittering about diet pills, her long black silk hair slid across my naked back in an innocent caress that nearly broke my legs.

‘those cascades
those little deaths’

Looking back, I think it was my only human touch since Graz a month before, but I left it as a symbol though I couldn’t stop myself from smiling sweetly at her and was anchored by her smiling farewell, could she have felt the same electricity? The relationship of less than a minute is hard to fault.

‘Why has the pile of dirty underwear
been left on the floor in front of me?’

The next morning I was woken by the full-on spot of camera crew in my face ‘Zo, vy are you zleeping int Munchen train ztation zen?’

'head and body separated like washing spilled on a
dirty floor…'

Shoot I really like this, I’ve printed all ten pages out with a small V & M, just to build the context of your reading and I feel confident that one day many more folk will choose printed copies of your soul

In the words of Robert Hughes on something arty “The unexamined life, said Socrates, is not worth living [and] the converse is also true. The unlived life is not worth examining.”

I’d say both were true of Soapy Moments. Echo: Tour de Force, and more importantly it means something to me, it’s gone in me book docstar

file said...

btw, the earthquake was a 4.5, wicked coincidence or irony?

file said...

just occurs to say too that you are giving us all the opportunity to steal your future Penguin doc, thanks and sorry about the royalties

the very thought of curried sex...

DoctorShoot said...

file

"Changing my shirt in between the rows of lockers next to a Spanish girl, chittering about diet pills, her long black silk hair slid across my naked back in an innocent caress that nearly broke my legs."

Drat.
Knockout.
I may have to forget I ever read that so I can imagine it for myself.
Oh how I wish that fleeting coral spawn had been mine...
cheers
doc

DoctorShoot said...

...amongst your substantial coral reef...

file said...

it was the soapy moments that cleaned up the rusty coral

offsideintahiti said...

Don't get me started on coral...

file said...

offie, it would be great if you started on coral

Anonymous said...

I left it behind. It's all pebbles and rocks and a little imported sand here.

file said...

it's still there, off, waiting for you

file said...

sorry, I thought you were going to wax lyrical about fishy fractals didn't realize you were pining

only a grumpy Frenchman will sit on the Cote D'Azur and moan

don't worry, Andrewm and guitou will soon be there helping you to surface

Anonymous said...

I'm not moaning or pining. I just got here. I have been nursing an article about scuba-diving, which of course would include bits about coral. Would it fit better on the Corner, or here, that's the question.

I still think we should go back to discussing lacy underwear. No shortage of that here.

file said...

aah, thats a different sort of diving then

file said...

a snorkel for a cami-sole, a respirator for a thong, decompression neccesary

Anonymous said...

A hands-up for the mimi, maybe?

DoctorShoot said...

file
what wondrous things are aroused by your creative frolic;
in particular that tremulous earth mother response in your riposte repose bucolic...
an influential occurrence in a sense tectonic...

and no hint of imagination enhancing substances e.g.alcaholic
(or for buddhists and like at least aerated soft drinks such as coca-cola carbonic )

thus
since you were preparing something of a tonic
by virtue of a communication electronic...
for a soapy moment (wash, then dry) and then certainly ironic...

and coincidentally
perhaps (in a nice earth swelling way) bubonic...

so 4.5 out of 4 for your icisive mining of my long moronic
ramblings...

file said...

doc,

get out of it, with your incessent verse
this threads for you and you are first

no moronic ramblings here, just big tales of big folk in a big land, Z is right the whole Ryan story on wiki is really interesting

tectonic tremors underboot say listen up to doctorshoot!

file said...

hey shoot, zeph,

is there a way to get an mp3 file or midi file of doc reading Soapy?

Anonymous said...

File, I think it would have to go on youtube, don't think these blogs have the technology. But since (as Offside likes to remind us) only five people read this site, it would probably be easier for the Doc to send round a DVD, if so inclined.

I was trying to think of a good joke about the earth moving for you, but failed...

file said...

yeah, there's a number of ways we could do it, if the good doc wants to of course

if he doesn't want to do it our options are limited but it's still possible

Anonymous said...

Only a handful of people contribute and/or comment on this site, but there must be a few lurkers, non? Tumbleweed, you out there?

Anonymous said...

I hoped more Pseuds would come over to read this one, and perhaps they have but didn't comment.

Doc has done a nice prose piece which is going up soon, that may reassure people who are frightened of poetry..

Anonymous said...

We need controversy, scandal, naked women... oh wait, we have all this.

What are they all waiting for?

Anonymous said...

Offside: scandal, naked women - they are where, somewhere? I thought we were becoming the Famous Five - travelling around in the Morgan with picnic baskets and raspberries. Where do I find this exciting world of scandal and women?

Anonymous said...

Scandal, theft, capital punishment, underwear and naked women, all human life is in Doc's soapy moment.

Other Pseuds do drop by, Offside, but not everybody's interested in this creativity lark when there's football to talk about.

DoctorShoot said...

file, zeph, offie, mimi,

I shall try and dig out my moody tripod and the remote for the video camera and cobble a scratchy tape together.

I would like to do a word cards Dylan homage Constriction one for the fun of it, but will have a go at Soapy as well...

unfortunately I have a couple of novels, several hundred short stories and more than a thousand poems and songs in the vault, and three children under the age of three who have escaped from the vault and usually bar the door, and a national park to run where endangered critters chirrup for salvation, and...
so if I seem like a confused and unintelligible wreck then it's because I am...

at least my littering of typos would not be evident if put onto tape...

offsideintahiti said...

Mimi,

famous five? We need a dog then, or a tapir... or... what else can we roast?

Anonymous said...

Herring gull. But first you have to catch one!

DoctorShoot said...

How to Trap a Gull:;
Gull Pie: The Uncertain Lighthouse Guile Method:

Extinguish all lights (bar one small lamp),
and stand undressed amid uncurtained windows
Plan:
that the storm's raging throat expectorates,
on the fly,

it's airborne flotsam (gulls included) which, whilst damp will
strike the naked chef’s transparent trap (whack full on the nose)
(or beak) and once lost, now found for a crockpot which waits
On a fire nearby.

Outcome:
So one, having attacted these sweet windowstruck wind-tossed tramps
(and breasted the storm their stunned forms to retrieve)
is now torn twixt the twin glows:
in hunger to clean and cook, or in love to kiss and release;
the belly and the heart, once mates,
now vie...

in full exposed torment, and whichever camp
one chooses, the hand of karma all-knows
that the trapper writes redemption or fate.

file said...

how to trap a gull

the lazy boy method: advertise in Gull Times classifieds that gulls who turn up at a certain address before [1.5 hours before dinner time] will recieve a govt. surplus herring handout

DoctorShoot said...

Gull Times extracts:

Fashion
"Gull: a teen head cutter in two cities"

Travel Section:
"Gull avers travel"

Sport:
"In Gull land: footballers struggle against minnows"

file said...

trap a gull/llug a part, why can't we lugg together?

One Lugg, One Heart, Lets sing together, We will be alright

Anonymous said...

Can we abandon gulls as a theme? Despite my unfondness for the adults of this ilk, I am drawn into saving the babies as much as I can. Today there were more 2 discarded chicks on our main street and I got the cat-box out again, phoned my friend, and we tempted the little ones in and she has taken them to safety in her garden.

DoctorShoot said...

I have Mme Z's signature on the listing:..
virtual, windowstruck, and generally abandoned gulls are now declared protected species unless essential ingredient in one of offie's pies... (though not one of mimi's banded, healed, releases, on any account...

file said...

we had a cat once, years ago in another lifetime (one of toil and blood), he'd been named Merlin and he was a stout black chap who could climb vertical brick walls as a kitten

he lost his right arm in a dustbin collectors cogs but he got over it

one day we took him to the vets for a check up and the vet needed to get his temperature by putting a thermometer up his arse 'You'll need to hold him tight' he'd said 'they usually resist this' and we did and the vet did his thing

our Merlin purred loudly and pushed his bum back with verve, writhing in aparant urgent esctacy

I was really embarressed, but I don't know why

file said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Damn, I really want to read that deleted comment now...

Anonymous said...

File: I have a cat, who although hating the car journey, once we are at the vets is ridiculously friendly to them, whatever they do. Last time we had to go, they asked if they could keep him as the surgery mascot! He's a tart of a cat.

file said...

well I sympathize mimi, really, and telling folk about it is a bit of a conversation stopper too!

DoctorShoot said...

zeph
any chance of a thread entitled:
"out takes and deleted comments..."

just for the social anthropologist doing phd on 'the rise of social commentary and the deleted thought' in fifty years time?..

Anonymous said...

Doc, I took out a File comment cos he posted exactly the same thing on two threads and it wasn't very funny the first time... and there were some follow-up remarks which weren't worth keeping either... nothing worthy of study :)

DoctorShoot said...

Zeph
good for you...
the moderator is the captaine...

Anonymous said...

What, our File being subversive? I find that hard to believe...

file said...

just because you think you can hide out here doesn't mean that others can't hear you whispering, now, where's your homework?

yanmaneee said...

moncler jacket
cheap jordans
pandora bracelet
pandora
a bathing ape
supreme clothing
balenciaga
air jordan
pandora
off white