Please note that the work on this blog is the copyright of the writers and may not be reproduced without their permission.

Monday 8 December 2008

Book Recommendations -- MouthoftheMersey

.
I'd like to offer four book recommendations to the discerning readership here.

1. The Borribles Trilogy - I've read these once to myself and once to my elder boy and no praise is too high. After a slightly laboured first fifty pages, the trilogy expands into the best evocation of urban life I can recall reading. It is everything The Lord of the Rings and the Narnia books aren't, with the wikipedia article providing an excellent introduction.

2. The Damned United - believe the hype. A dizzying re-animation of the Brian Cloughs now enshrined in English folklore. But it's the writing that really makes this book stand out from the pack - a worrying, disorienting voice that gets into your head and stays there long after you turn the last page. In some respects it is like Gordon Burn's Happy Like Murderers, the sordid subject matter of which does not detract from the literary achievement.

3. The Indian Mutiny by Saul David. - I loved this wonderfully evocative history of what Indians call the First War of Independence. Its politics is worn lightly, playing second fiddle to unwrapping the ties that bound the British to the Indians and why they snapped where and when they did. I came to it through my favourite Flashman novel - Flashman in the Great Game. Now if you're prepared to leave a little of your political correctness to one side and embrace humanity in all its faults, the Flashman novels are a delight - but they won't be to all tastes.

4. Peanuts - Hard to believe that something so simple and so popular can be so rewarding. I've read this collection aloud to both my kids and had them read back in return and we pick up stuff in libraries from time to time. There's real anguish and poignancy in the strips and, in Snoopy, an extraordinary character on whom Charles Schulz projected so many hopes and fears.


All will be available for er... peanuts second-hand from Amazon, or you could support your local book shop.
.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these, Mouth. Peanuts is indeed, an endless source of delight!

I must look for the Indian Mutiny book - another period of history that barely got a mention at school...

Zephirine said...

Hm, bit of a dearth of comments here.. still, that allows me to use the word 'dearth' which can only be a good thing.

Mouth, however good it may be, I'm not going to read Happy Like Murderers - there's some information I don't want in my brain. I haven't even read Capote's In Cold Blood, though I liked the film about the writing of it (the one with Philip Seymour Hoffman).

Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting for Stephen to bring me the Borribles.

I'm working on some recommedations but in the meantime, anything by Neil Gaiman.

Try Stardust. I'll find a link for the bestest "Neverwhere".

Anonymous said...

this is http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0MVDN2rSRyc

Anonymous said...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=stwyBHnPL70&feature=related

Anonymous said...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=stwyBHnPL70&feature=related

i don't think we need to know about the horrid men. Thats mr van de mar and the other bad chap.

~What's important is the right. And there's the Angel Islington.

Zephirine said...

Thanks for these, Mimi. I saw the film of Stardust but didn't like all of it, some bad miscasting I thought. I keep meaning to read the book.