Please note that the work on this blog is the copyright of the writers and may not be reproduced without their permission.

Monday 20 April 2009

JG Ballard: honouring a literary giant -- by Mimitig

.
I saw this headline tonight: Cult Author JG Ballard dies at 78.

The details are here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8007331.stm

Now, I have known for several years that Ballard was fighting cancer so perhaps it should not come as a shock to read that he has died and I’m thinking what is it that surprises me and makes me feel like writing something?

It is the headline.

“Cult author”. Surely the headline should have read: “Death of a Genius” or “Best-selling author JG Ballard dies”?

JG Ballard may have started his writing life in an unassuming way – short stories sent to Sci-fi mags – but long before his death he was acknowledged widely as a writer of fiction that could not be side-lined as Sci-fi or 'cult'.

Stephen Spielberg’s Oscar-winning adaption of Empire of the Sun made sure that JG was no longer a writer in the shadows. This was reinforced when David Cronenberg chose Ballard’s Crash as a suitable book to film. Much controversy raged about the film and it did nothing to harm the sales of Ballard’s book.

I was delighted to see Ballard in the public preserve – interviews with the print media and appearances on culture shows was nothing less than the man deserved.

Yet there was a part of me that resented these johnnie-come-latelies. Where were you, I thought, when his only readers were those who picked out the yellow and purple Victor Gollancz titles of his early years?

The first Ballard I read, and I came to it through BBC Radio Four’s Book at Bedtime, was The Drowned World. I listened late at night and went to the library – to the grown-up section – and borrowed my first non-children’s book. This was a rite-of-passage – child to adult through the medium of the book.

After reading that one book I was hooked on Ballard. I searched out all the Penguins (cover price 30p) with their dramatic cover art. I bought the Triad/Panther editions – larger format, cover price now £2.50 – different sort of cover art, different font for cover and text (set in Plantin and printed and bound by Hazell Watson and Viney – just up the road from where I lived).

I was so intrigued by Ballard’s writings that I would search out every bookshop, market stall or boot sale to gather his works on my shelves.

My uncorrected book proof, not for publication bound copy of The Day of Creation remains one of my most treasured literary possessions.

Now he has died and I feel another star that lit up the literary world has gone. When writers who can enthral readers and entice them into believing the world of the book die, we, the readers, are bereft.

I thank JG Ballard for sharing his world and his imagination with us. We will be the poorer without his words.

.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, mimi. Like you, I discovered Ballard in my early teens in either Vermillion Sands or The Burning World, I can't remember which. But like you, they inspired me to seek out his work, no easy thing in those days. How well I remember those old VG editions.

Although he was classified as a SF writer at the time and although I was a confirmed SF fan, Ballard was something rather different. His skewed views of possible dystopias, his subtle manner of creating a terrible unease, his laconic prose that sank into your imagination like burrs--he really was that much-over-used word 'unique'. A sad loss.

Pinkerbell said...

Mimi, sorry to hear about the loss of one of your literary heroes. I will try to read some of his work sometime.

ringo37 said...

Isn't that a fairly decent definition of a cult writer, though, Mimi? - a writer who makes you feel possessive (not to say obsessive), who makes you resent the JCLs? A writer for whom you feel more than just admiration?

I can't say I'm a Ballard fan but of course the loss of any writer of such stature is a loss for us all. Nice piece.

mimi said...

I get your point ringo, but I do feel that JG had moved beyond cult and according to my mum, there have actually been many words spoken and written since his death.

I wrote this piece before any print media obits came out and I wrote from emotion at the on-line headline.

It just didn't seem right to me that he was classified in those first headlines as a cult writer.

ringo37 said...

To be honest, Mimi, I think for a lot of journalists the word "cult" has just come to mean "a bit strange" (or possibly "not Sebastian Faulks") and could be applied to pretty much anyone from Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky to Terry Pratchett...

mimi said...

ringo - you have just caused me to laugh hugely. I think I might have to adopt "not Sebastian Faulks" as a literary reference!!

MeltonMowbray said...

I used to admire Mr JG Ballard
A very excellent plot-hatcher
Now I think him a bit of a blaggard
Considering his love of Mrs Thatcher.