Please note that the work on this blog is the copyright of the writers and may not be reproduced without their permission.

Friday 25 September 2009

Soul Eaters -- by Mimitig



Fire burns bright
I live in darkness
Fear the light.
My name is night.
Moon in shadow
Fear the light.
Brightness burns
Hurts.
Fire that bites.
Moon clouds the light
Cool soothes the fire
That bites.
Fast running cool
Swift healing for the
Fire that bites,
Hurts
No one knows
Why the fast
Running heat
Burns so fiercely.
Paws, pause and cool.
Nothing left
Brothers, sisters – all gone
Fire eats
It all.

.

9 comments:

Zephirine said...

This is very spooky, Mimi - is it about wolves, or some Other sort of creature?

Meltonian said...

I like this one, which hurries along very effectively to its ending. The scattering of rhymes gives it fluency.

freep said...

I think it could do with a scholarly interpretation. If there were a long footnote saying this was a free translation of the Iroquois hymn sung at the death of a young warrior, I would believe it.

Zephirine said...

More likely to be an extract from a Hebridean myth, I think.

Pinkerbell said...

Mimi, a wonderful atmospheric poem. I agree with Melton about the rhyming, and also the repetition of certain words give emphasis and rhythm. The two different words with the same sound "paws" and "pause" is clever. This gives the impression of actual creatures lurking. I can imagine them waiting in the shadows waiting for the fires to go out. Spooky.

offsideintahiti said...

Thanks for the soul food, Mimi.

file said...

very good mims, very atmospheric, one of your best yet I think.

for some reason you make me think of that Pete Seeger piece: "Why is it that night falls but never breaks and day breaks but never falls?"

mimi said...

Thank you for kind comments. There is more from this source, but still being worked on.

munni said...

The nights are growing longer, aren't they?

I shall look forward to reading the more, Mimi. Very eerie, and the short lines give it a sort of feverish drive.