Please note that the work on this blog is the copyright of the writers and may not be reproduced without their permission.

Wednesday 11 July 2007

From 'The Manager's Poems': Shirt and Tie -- by File

-

I flapped and bulged as a clean white shirt
On a suburban nylon washing line
One of many, line after line, dentures in the wind
Then I hung passively absorbing rain
And eventually also bleeding rust from the spring in the clip
Sepia seeping into me, stained teeth

I pondered lonely as a shroud
Sunken over decayed flesh
The weight of ages is the weight of tissue, I wait for morning
When I will be squeezed around the middle and pulled
While the pegs are removed
And then thrown into a plastic bag to wait
For the next cycle of whites


Silky coils sleeping on the jungle floor
Where I slipped after failing to hold my hanger
That was sometime ago now and dust has settled
In the crease you made from your vicious V
That failed to impress the disciplinary board
And failed to help you explain it to your wife

Wrapped I was, with care, that day
Around a stainless starched white neck
And you had no reason to suspect that my performance
Would be anything less than Spectacular
But it is hard to shine in the dim light from under the wardrobe door
Amongst boxes and crumpled balls of paper, your friend,
That so acutely remind me of the fate of my friend, your shirt,
Damp and creased and soiled in a plastic bag downstairs

-

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

"bleeding rust from the spring in the clip"
File: every failed relationship in 8 words. You are good at this my friend, and stay with us. I have to go out for a few hours, but I'll be back for another read before the evening's done. Ooh, words and implications. Memories and meanings.
Thank you.

Zephirine said...

This too is a terrific piece of work, a different voice from you File, and very impressive.

file said...

thanks z 'n mi, to paraphrase the great Mimi; your appreciation is my satisfaction, tho I still think they need work, it's a long process!

Anonymous said...

I can't tell if they need work but I can tell they're both fookin' brilliant, like. Excuse my French, bit of a rush, can't elaborate. Great stoof.

file said...

thanks offie, see comment above, as you know it really enthuses when folk like your stuff and it's appreciated

btw, what's happened to your accent? You sound like a Geordie now...

Anonymous said...

Damn, that's my cover blown then.

file said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
file said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

wot?

file said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

who?

file said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

but why?

file said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Que pasa? What are these deletions about? We don't do that here in the Salon.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, a flurry of deletions... concealing indiscretion, obscenity or merely an inability to spell? Better not to know, perhaps...

DoctorShoot said...

Mr File
great stuff and agreed a different voice and flickers of the real, actual, father of fillettes person darting from potted palm to potted palm, almost seen...
'I pondered lonely as a shroud...' almost too impudent to be real, but you almost got away with it!!

On the other hand
"Silky coils sleeping on the jungle floor
Where I slipped after failing to hold my hanger
That was sometime ago now and dust has settled...."
absolutely works all the way to the bone for me...

and when the shirt talks it is still loyal and faithful and ready to be put through it's soapy moment and renewed for another foray...

enjoyed the little foray into reincarnation which rings loudly of time in Buddhist company:
"....I wait for morning
When I will be squeezed around the middle and pulled
While the pegs are removed
And then thrown into a plastic bag to wait
For the next cycle of whites...."

DoctorShoot said...

did I say I enjoyed it? cause I did...

look forward to the whole series with suitable cover and images...

file said...

shoot,

feel really lucky to get the benefit of your feedback, I know you know what I'm trying, clumsily, to say and it's really heartening that you can hear me

re: 'pondering...', will I ever free myself from fripperence? Impudence you call it and I spose it is, tho I quite like it in this context it probably detracts from the message by over-ambitious association

mimi, zeph,

re: fripperence and deletions; Offie and I had a very silly conversation and my part of it was not really worth reading (nothing sinister or rude, just waffling about Geordie fishies, dishies and Sam Allardyce) and a) didn't think it was worthy of OS where folk have considered work on show and b) sort of thought that it was mildly amusing to leave one half of a conversation up as a sort of poem in it's own right, the whole subject might be left to the mind of the reader?!

Zephirine said...

We're allowed to be silly here File! but it is quite fun to see Offside's comments erm, floundering...

file said...

Oofsid, you're well aware of the near complete pointlessness of our dialogue last night, didn't mean to leave you 'floundering' but neither did I want my 'n'importe quoi' to take up too much space, tho I don't think you're comments are flapping as such, more like abandoned spikes waiting to impale the unwary!

Anonymous said...

C'est pas grave.